Making a Makerspace in Edmonds, Washington
CREATIVE - MAKERSPACE
We welcome all 'makers' but want to especially support several main groups:
S.T.E.A.M - Technology Education
- STEM is short for Science,Technology, Engineering and Math but we emphasize creativity and add 'Art' to the mix
- We have lots of classes and youth day-camps planned, heavy on the hands-on and creative.
- While we are planning lots of our own classes, we are also hoping to host local clubs and organizations. You can also expect to see classes on computers and internet use as well as on Making topics.
Wearables/ Leatherwork / Fiber Arts
Costuming / Heavy-Fabrics / Leather / Wearable Electronics
- The heart of the space is a room with lots of work-table space and Sewing Machines (industrial, home and antique) and Sergers as well as tools for leatherwork and jewelry with room to roll-out your cloth or paper for layout and design work (quilter's are welcome!)
- We are set up for integrating technologies such as making Wearable Tech from Costumes, Gadgets, Props and Accessories to Wearable Computers and virtual reality harnesses.
- We are building a community "space" for History and Creative History re-enactors (from Medieval to Steampunk, from Civil-War to Science Fiction,) and at the same time encourage all kinds of tinkering with micro-computers and the Internet of Things. Mind you we expect to see our folks turning out our share of Ray-Guns, Time-Machines, Communicators and Spectral-Siphons.
Printing / Paper Arts
from Letterpress & Book-Binding, to Die-Cutting and Scrap-Booking
- Paper Crafts - from scrap booking and, book-binding, to origami we will have space, tools and classes.
- We also have a fully equipped K & E Drafting Table, including the Drafting Arm, as well as Tracing Projectors and soon-to-be Light Table.
Programmable Electronics / Robotics
- the ElectroLab: We have a room dedicated to Electronics, Automation, Robotics, and wireless - including Home Automation and IOT.
- While some folks may be making props, others will be inventing the future as we explore the uses of micro-controllers, especially TeensyUSB and Arduino and the Internet-of-Things. Maybe we will even sponsor our own Robot Wars...
- And of course we will be exploring the world of 3-D Printing, and Engraving!
- We have the equipment to digitize your old photos, films, records, CD's and more.
Woodworking / Metalwork (Cold) / Jewelry
- The Fabratory is the dust-making workshop, where we work with Wood, Metal and Plastic.
- Sturdy Workbenches, Band-Saw, Table-Saw, Small Lathes (Wood & Metal), Drill Press and lots of hand tools
- For Jewelry we have a Workbench, anvils, hammers, hand tools, buffer and grinder. We are not set up for casting (Yet.)
SCOUT SKILLS (Girls & Boys)
from Pinewood Derby Building Sessions to Merit Badge Classes
Contact Kirk to schedule.
We don't mean to limit anybody by talking about our focus areas, but rather to indicate where our tools and materials budgets will have priority.
We already have many of the tools to get up and going with these, but there is always a need for new tools and people with expertise they can share - like you!